Considering the growing popularity and widespread adoption of cloud computing, there are some very interesting statistics that every CIO should keep in mind when seeking to implement cloud computing within the corporate network.
According to figures published by IBM, end-user spending on cloud services could exceed $180 billion by 2015. IBM also forecasts that the global cloud equipment market will reach $79.1 billion by 2018. Also, the data suggests that businesses in the United States will spend over $13 billion on cloud computing and managed hosting services by 2014.
Over the next five years, annual growth of 44% is anticipated in workloads for public cloud compared to 8.9% growth for on-premise computing workloads.
As many as 82% of businesses said that they have saved money after they moved to the cloud, according to technology firm NSK Inc. Over 60% of companies use cloud computing for performing operations related to IT, and 14% of businesses have cut their IT positions after they moved to the cloud.
Already over half of the US government is in the cloud, with government agencies spending around $2 billion on cloud services every year.
Within the first six months of moving to the cloud, 80% of businesses saw improvements in their operations. Over 50% of respondents in 2013 said that their company was currently transferring sensitive and confidential data to the cloud, an increase of around 10% compared to 2012.
This year will be the first when the majority of workloads are in the cloud, as 51% of them will be processed in the cloud, with the remaining 49% processed in the traditional IT space.
On average, 545 cloud services are in use by a company, with 56% of businesses trusting the ability of cloud vendors to protect confidential data, according to a survey from Silicon Angle.
At present 59% of all new cloud computing spending is coming from companies in North America, a trend that is likely to accelerate through 2016.
Ready to move your field service to the cloud, read more: Avoiding a Storm in Your Cloud Installation